by Dennis Crouch
Nationwide Institute of Benchmarks and Technological know-how (NIST) (a branch of the Department of Commerce) has announced a new initiative to “improve federal technological know-how transfer” together with a Request for Facts (RFI) published in the Federal Sign-up. The govt is seeking to “gather data about the present state of Federal technological know-how transfer and the public’s ability to interact with Federal laboratories and access federally funded R&D through collaborations, licensing, and other mechanisms.”
The agency is broadly seeking for comments on matters like:
- Finest methods in federal technological know-how transfer (what are we executing proper . . . and mistaken)
- Strengthening effectiveness and cutting down regulatory burdens in get to draw in personal sector expenditure in afterwards-stage R&D, commercialization, and sophisticated manufacturing
- Strategies for new partnership products with the personal sector, academia, other Federal organizations.
- Metrics and strategies for analyzing the ROI outcomes and impacts arising from Federal R&D expenditure and
- Mechanisms for appreciably rising technological know-how transfer outcomes from the Federal sector, universities, and research organizations.
Looming massive in the track record of present Federal Policy is the the Bayh-Dole Act that lets universities and corporations to privately patent the success of federally funded research. In two-a long time, Bayh-Dole will have its 40th Anniversary — as a result the “quarantine” title.